Trucks Take Tumble
Posted on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
As an experienced personal-injury lawyer, I know how dangerous eighteen-wheeler accidents can be. Recently in the news you may have heard about the three-car, dump truck pile-up on the Arkansas River Bridge that sent three motorists to the hospital with injuries. Those big trucks that operate on our roadways can weigh up to an astounding 80,000 pounds. The statistics provided by the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) reveal how dangerous big trucks can be:
- 500,000 trucking accidents occur each year in the United States.
- From these accidents, there are approximately 5,000 deaths each year.
- 1 in every 8 traffic fatalities involves a collision with a truck.
- Roughly 130,000 people are injured in truck accidents each year.
- Driver fatigue is the cause of 30% of all commercial truck accidents.
- 84% of fatal truck crashes occur in normal weather conditions.
- Drinking even small amounts of alcohol
- 362 pedestrians are killed each year in accidents involving trucks
- 87 cyclists are killed each year in accidents involving trucks.
A current study of 1,391 commercial truck drivers found that 28% had obstructive sleep apnea. Persons with obstructive sleep apnea are shown to be between two and seven times more likely to be involved in a motor vehicle crash. Presently, there are over 4.7 million commercial truck drivers; meaning over 1,300,000 truck drivers are driving with sleep apnea.
Important safety rules need to be enforced by trucking companies, commercial truck drivers, judges, and juries in our courtrooms in order to eliminate this hazard from the highways of our country. To help raise awareness on this troubling issue, I hosted an Arkansas Trial Lawyers Association CLE on Friday, October 17, about the Details and Dynamics of Trucking Accidents. Throughout the day, there were several guest speakers voicing their knowledge on talking, texting, and trucking, how bad drivers get hired, and how to find and obtain punitive damages in every interstate trucking case.
At McCutchen Buckley – The Law Firm, we understand the trauma you endure if you or someone you love has been the victim of a truck crash in Arkansas or Oklahoma. That is why you can count on us for support. If you have any questions do not hesitate to call toll free at 1-(800)-871-0036 or contact me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.